Founded in 2001, Volunteers for Sustainable Development in Africa (VOSIEDA) is a Liberian nonprofit and a network of development professionals working to promote prosperity, reduce extreme poverty, and strengthen peace and stability in Liberia and West Africa’s Mano River Union Basin region. VOSIEDA’s work focuses on saving the planet and fighting extreme poverty among women, youth, children, and other excluded groups. We advance community solutions to address development challenges and empower local people to care for nature that sustains all lives.
VOSIEDA is implementing a program on Low Carbon / Climate – Smart Agriculture in rural Liberia, with an emphasis on Nimba County. The project is funded by the Embassy of Sweden. VOSIEDA will implement the program by working with the Ministry of Agriculture, other relevant government institutions, and international and national non-governmental organizations to address climate change impact in Liberia’s agriculture sector. To lead the Office’s engagements and delivery of programmatic outputs including engagements with the private sector for partnerships, farmers groups, and service provisions, VOSIEDA seeks the services of a Program Management Specialist. S/he will work full-time and lead all aspects relevant to the achievements of the objectives of the project, in addition to the development of the VOSIEDA Food Security and Livelihood Enhancement Program.
The Program, funded by Sweden, is entitled “Building Community Resilience to Climate Impacts and Livelihood Support through Climate Smart Small-Scale Farming”. The program aims to facilitate climate-smart agriculture techniques to empower smallholder farmers, mainly women, and youths, to employ sustainable and regenerative farming practices in Nimba County, Northern Liberia. The overall project goal is to strengthen rural communities’ resilience to climate change impact through small-scale agricultural practices that promote increased and sustainable productivity and reduced agricultural sector GHG emissions.
- Improved land use and productivity increased through climate-smart agriculture practices.
- Strengthened communities’ resilience to climate change.
- Reduced agriculture-based greenhouse gas emissions.
- Enhanced income generation of smallholder farming communities.
The activities include setting up climate-resilient lowland rice farming groups, roots, and tubers (cassava) farming groups, vegetable and fruit productions, and farmers’ field schools as learning and demonstration sites. About 1,400 hectares of farmland will be developed, with farming techniques that ensure that farming practices continue in the same spots for decades, without any need for shifting to new sites.
Under the guidance of the VOSIEDA Team Leader and the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Irrigation Specialist liaises with other technical staff and relevant colleagues and will undertake the tasks outlined below.
The Irrigation Specialists will design and install irrigation systems in all land preparation, horticulture production, and lowland environments implemented in all climate-smart agriculture infrastructures implemented by VOSIEDA. S/he will inspect, audit, adjust and repair the systems to ensure they perform at maximum efficiency and conserve water. S/he must be an advanced user of technology as a significant component in smart-watering systems engineering.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The incumbent will undertake the following
- Shall analyze, plan, and design an irrigation system for distributing water to land use for agriculture. These systems will include canals, barrages, drains, dams, and other supporting systems.
- Shall design, make and understand irrigation systems that will give the most excellent result to an area.
- Shell help improves water and soil conservation methods which may consist of changing the topography.
- The Irrigation Specialists shall research problems related to soil drainage and apply appropriate knowledge to find solutions.
- Shall teach small-scale farmers about the various irrigation systems available, including sprinklers and drip systems.
- Shall devise and create analyzed information for small-scale farmers referring to the different systems.
- Shall troubleshoot problems that may come up during the installation of the irrigation system and during usage.
- Shall keep all the designs made for the farmers in their specific places in a record.
- Shall utilize programs and computer software to create plans and detailed blueprints of the procedures for installation.
- Shall explain the impact of having this irrigation system to farmers and stakeholders.
- Inspects and loads equipment for lowland, horticulture, and roots and tuber irrigation work.
- Shall test soil and vegetation to determine irrigation layout needs for lowland, vegetables, and root and tuber.
- Shall survey and map out areas for irrigation installation, measuring, and layout of lowland plots, vegetable plots, and cassava plantations.
- Shall facilitate digging trenches, layout lowland pilot and water control infrastructures, and install pipes, lines, pumps, and electrical timers.
- Shall test irrigation systems with the aid of computer software.
- Shall conduct routine maintenance checks and troubleshooting and replace faulty parts.
- Shall complete all progress reports and associated paperwork.
- Shall construct separate channels to move water to and from paddy fields to improve the control of water by individual farmers.
- Shall perform shallow tillage operations before land soaking.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- A Master’s degree in Agriculture Science, Project Management, Irrigation Engineering, Environment, or a related natural sciences field is preferred. Bachelor’s degree in these and related field is a requirement.
- At least five (5) years of experience in project management, and implementation, and program delivery, around climate-smart agriculture, forestry, environmental protection, biodiversity conservation, natural resource management, community-based development planning is required.
VOSIEDA Core Competencies.
- Results Focus
- Effective written and spoken communication skills
- Building Effective Relationships.
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement of Technical/Functional Skills
- Demonstrated result-based management capabilities with an ability to manage a complex irrigation system.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively in support of program implementation.
- Knowledge of research analysis and program development.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential.
- Demonstrated result-based management capabilities with an ability to manage programs.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively in support of program implementation.
- Excellent communication, networking, written, and presentation skills.
- Experience in developing and delivering land used or management plans is an asset.
- Experience working with international partners or donors preferred with a strong preference to candidates with prior experience working with Swedish International Development Agency.
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical coordination and leadership with a broad range of interested parties, across cultures, languages, and varying capacity levels.
- Experience working with national governmental technical agencies, civil society organizations, and other international technical partners (preferred).
- Strong program management and organizational skills including concept note development and donor reporting.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office and database management (required) and GIS (preferred).
- Experience working in the field with rural communities and local government authorities for potentially extended periods.
- VOSIEDA does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- If you need help, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted or reviewed.
- VOSIEDA seeks gender and geographical diversity in its staff and consultants.
- Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
HOW TO APPLY
- Candidates must send a letter of motivation, an up-to-date CV, and copies of academy credentials by email to email@example.com.
- We encourage applicants to apply well before the deadline date. If you need help or have queries, please get in touch with us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.